Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Warumbungles

Well we drove slowly enjoying the scenery, bigger trees and a bit up and down on the road. It was very cold (after Townsville) when we took off at 6am! I had on 2 jackets. Stopped at a nice roadside camp in Walgett, a wool town, and had breakfast. Then we went on to Coonamble, and across to Barradine, where my Grandfather worked as a wood carrier. I went into a few places to see if there were any old people still alive who may have known Grandad,they would have been children back in the late 30's early 40's. I spoke to a woman in the library and she tried to ring some of the older people she knew, but none were home (hope they didn't die before I can talk to them! Only joking! She gave me their phone numbers so I can ring them, one lady had worked with the forestry dept since she was 16 and she is now late 80's.

We are now in the warrumbungle national park staying at an environmental park, just have to keep Dad from talking to any of them, unless we are leaving and then he can go for his life. It is beautiful with mountains all around us, and lovely ghost gums and some easy walks. There is a huge swinging observatory here you can see, I would love to see it. The people all through this range have their own little round observatories in their yards. Adam would love that, he will have to bring Sam down here.

Not too sure where to from here, but eventually heading to the Chuch farm just souyh of Griffith. Now for some dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment